Thursday, September 18, 2008

The neighbors

I'm up listening to the police evict my new neighbors from the apartment downstairs. Greg and I moved in 2 weeks ago and from the first day, they were...uummmm...weird. They never spoke to either of us. It now makes sense that they were trying to not draw attention to themselves; which is hard to do since it's a 3 family house and the first floor apartment was vacant. We were the only 2 occupants of the building and was just weird to not speak...ever. And if you know me, it wasn't for lack of trying.

A few minutes ago, the lady of the house got put into a squad car and taken away. The super just finished changing the locks on their apartment door, and they gave us a new key to the main door. After the drama was all over I said to my brother, "You know, just when I think I've got it bad, there's some one else who's got it way worse."

Yes, I'm unemployed. Yes, the current state of the economy may make it impossible for me to get a small business loan. Yes, all of the folks in NYC looking for work make for stiff competition. BUT, I have a home. I haven't gone hungry one day yet. And although the creditors are calling and the budget is super-duper tight, I have what I need. And I'm not spending the night in jail because I got evicted. I can't even imagine.

It's unfortunate that it sometimes takes another person's misfortune to realize my life really isn't as bad as I think. My life has definitely seen better days. But it could be a whole helluva lot worse. Not a new life lesson, but one that clearly needed reteaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment