Monday, September 3, 2012

Rest

I just woke up from a nap. I was in the middle of working and started to feel ill. I though it was the Indian food I had for lunch haunting me.

Nope.

It was the nights of not-enough-sleep finally catching up with me. I haven't had a full night's sleep since I got here. 3 weeks later, it caught up with me. I don't have trouble sleeping through the night; once I'm down, it's a wrap until the morning. Rather, I have a hard time getting to bed. Not falling asleep... getting to bed.

As a former health coach, I used to preach the importance of getting enough sleep. I can feel the effects of not getting it. I don't feel as sharp mentally. I don't have the energy I need to exercise. There really is no good reason for being up so late. Most nights I'm attempting to work. I say attempt because my mind is mush and I still keep going. I have no TV to watch, so I troll FB or other random sites before going back to attempting to work. In the moment, I know I'm actin' a hot mess. The therapist in me tries to talk some sense to my pseudo-manic self... to no avail.

And here I am. Weeks later, a physical and mental zombie in need of a nap (and maybe a third cup of coffee). So what in the hell am I going to do about it? I am committing to be in bed by 10:30pm every night; 11:30 for nights I'm on dorm duty. Most days I have a class that begins at 8am. I need to be sharp.

I need to take care of me. I need to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment