Sunday, September 2, 2012

Wholeness

Through the healing power of gratitude, I am whole.  
(link to Daily Word website with entire affirmation)

The one word that jumps out at me is gratitude. It has been said that focusing on what you're grateful helps to turn the mind around. The brain cannot hold two opposing thoughts at the same time. It is impossible to hold thoughts of gratitude and complaint at the same time. There are books, blogs, etc. that speak about keeping a gratitude journal; writing down 3-5 things each day that you're grateful for. I did that once. It's nice to not be a complainer for a few moments each day. It was also a pain when it seemed as if I were stretching just to have 5 on the list. 

I can honestly say that as I sit here thinking about all that I am grateful for, that the list is quite long. And in spite of it all, I still whine. I still have moments of envy, anxiety and depression. I'm working on it. Life will never be perfect. However, it is my hope that the very long list of things/people/experiences I'm grateful for can, in my mind and heart, overshadow the stuff I whine about.

Funny how this stuff all works together. I decided to attend my old home church (All Saints' UMC) via podcast today. The sermon is from a few weeks ago, but is what I needed to hear today and fits in with today's post. I love the internet.

"Eating In Silence"

No comments:

Post a Comment